JPND (EU Joint Programme – Neurodegenerative Disease Research): Understanding the mechanisms of non-pharmacological interventions
This transnational call invites proposals for ambitious, innovative, multinational and multidisciplinary collaborative research projects aimed at improving the understanding of the mechanisms and biological substrates that underlie non-pharmacological interventions, in order to tailor a holistic personalised treatment approach
Proposals must focus on one or several of the following neurodegenerative diseases:
- Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias
- Parkinson’s disease and PD‐related disorders
- Prion diseases
- Motor neuron diseases
- Huntington’s disease
- Spinocerebellar ataxia (SCA)
- Spinal muscular atrophy (SMA)
Proposals submitted under this call may include, but are not limited to, the following types of research:
- Determining biomolecular and/or physical underpinnings of effects of non-pharmacological interventions;
- Examining the mechanisms of effective non-pharmacological interventions on the molecular and cellular level by applying cutting-edge technologies;
- Identification of the mechanisms of non-pharmacological interventions within the brain, using brain imaging, electrophysiology and other equivalent state-of-the-art techniques;
- Identification of biological, psychological and social health markers and their associations to allow the identification of modifiable risk factors amenable to non-pharmacological interventions and better predict and monitor the effects of these interventions for future large-scale clinical studies;
- Elaborating modified concepts of non-pharmacological interventions with enhanced efficacy based on a deeper understanding of the mechanisms;
- Identification of potential drug-target sites for a combination of pharmacological and non-pharmacological interventions;
- Finding (individual) factors that predict response to interventions
- Accredited Health Research Institutes (Institutos de Investigación Sanitaria acreditados, IIS)
- Hospitals, primary health care or public health administration of the Spanish National Health System (SNS)
- CIBER. Team members applying to the call must be from at least two groups belonging to CIBER in two different home institutions and one of these two should be a Hospital, primary health care or public health administration of the Spanish National Health System (SNS) or Accredited Health Research Institutes (Institutos de Investigación Sanitaria acreditados, IIS)
- Academia and Other Research Centers (public or private non-for profit)
- Principal Investigators (PI) can only participate in one project proposal per call.
- Principal Investigators (PIs) belonging to any IIS could apply only from the IIS or from any of the institutions belonging to the IIS.
- The Principal Investigator (PI) and all members of the research group must belong to the eligible institution or be affiliated to CIBER or an IIS
Excluded personnel as Principal Investigator (PI):
- Those undergoing a postgraduate training in Health Specialization (MIR, EIR, FIR, QIR, BIR, PIR, RFIR).
- Those undergoing research training (e.g. PhD students, or “Río Hortega” contracts).
- Researchers contracted by a RETIC/RICOR.
- Those undergoing postdoctoral training (e.g. “Sara Borrell” or “Juan de la Cierva” contracts).
This call has two steps (submission through this form):
- 1ª phase: Pre-proposals until 01-03-2022
- 2ª phase: Full-proposals until 28-06-2022