The ERA-NET TRANSCAN-3 has launched its 3rd call for proposals (JTC 2023) on the topic of: Translational research on cancer epigenetics.This call will be focussed on 2 aims:
- Aim 1: The role of epigenetics in cancer initiation and progression.These studies may aim to validate novel epigenetics-based biomarkers to improve detection, diagnosis, prognosis of cancers or response to therapies (using recently developed innovative approaches, multiomic approaches, single-cell analysis, patient-derived organoids, patient-derived xenografts, tumour samples collected from retrospective and/or prospective cohorts of patients or clinical trials)
- 1.1: To understand cancer initiation and progression by characterisation of the epigenetic landscape.
- 1.2: To define epigenetic features of cells in the tumour microenvironment that may promote tumour progression (e.g., immune cells, vascular cells, microbiota)
- 1.3: To study the role of epigenetic modifications as predictors of cell persistence or treatment resistance
- 1.4: To validate epigenetic markers useful to improve early detection and diagnosis by exploring the correlation between epigenetics and clinical cancer manifestation
- Aim 2: Validation of new epigenetics-based therapeutic strategies to limit cancer progression, prevent relapse/recurrence or increase the efficiency or reduce toxicity of existing anti-cancer therapies
- 2.1: To validate novel therapeutic targets (novel targets should be evaluated in translational studies with regard to their impact on treatment efficacy, safety and patient reported outcomes)
- 2.2: To study the potential use of epigenetic modulators to overcome resistance to anti-cancer therapies
- 2.3: To develop novel epidrugs/therapeutic approaches, through phase I and II clinical trials (investigating combinations of available treatments, new therapeutics, new administration schemes, etc.) to improve safety and efficacy of treatments (objective responses; patient reported outcomes regarding morbidity and quality of life; etc.)
- 2.4: To develop novel theranostic approaches involving epigenetics of cancer
The submission deadline for pre-proposals is on 21 July 2023. Deadline for full proposal is on 15 December 2023. For more info please visit TRANSCAN website or the call text.
Only transnational projects will be funded. Each research consortium must involve a minimum of three and a maximum of six eligible partners from at least three different countries participating in the call. In addition, a research consortium must not involve more than two research groups from one country. Inclussion of research teams from Hungary, Latvia, Slovakia and Turkey is encouraged.
Each consortium must involve at least one basic or pre-clinical research team and one clinical team. It is also recommended to include an expert team in methodology, biostatistics or bioinformatics, depending on the type of work planned. The consortium may also involve other teams with specialised skills and know-how (biobanks, model systems, technological platforms, etc.) or expertise (epidemiology and molecular epidemiology, early phase clinical trials, public health, ELSI, etc.).